Sam Garrett-Jones, Vice president, National Parks Association of NSW
Summer is here and in anticipation of warmer weather our 60 Best Walks leaders are heading to the hills and to the beaches, lakes and rivers!
In the Snowy Mountains, Kosciuszko NP, there are three multi-day offerings in December/January: two around the Kosciuszko main range (BW #57) and one in the Round Mountain/Mt Jagungal area (BW #60) in the north of the park. There are plenty of opportunities to walk in the Blue Mountains too.
The accessible Sydney Harbour walks (BW #8) remain hugely popular, whether from Taronga, or all the way to Manly with a side trip to Crater Cove. Or take a dip in Narrabeen rock pool on BW #3.
In the Central Coast/Hunter area, Catherine Hill Bay in Munmorah State Conservation Area (BW #49) is one of Bushwalking Leadership Award 2017 recipient Mark Goodson’s favourite coastal walks. Mark tells us why: “because of the diversity of the landscape and the possibility of several spots to swim, surf or snorkel along the way! Wonderful rock platforms to explore and the colourful coastal tall heathland to enjoy. More than enough reason to join me!” (on 24 February 2017). In Brisbane Water, Maitland Bay, Bouddi NP (BW #3), also offers the chance of a swim.
So, take up the invitation to bring your snorkel, mask and flippers, or seek out a cooling Alpine breeze: the choice is yours!
60 Best Walks has been so popular that we are keeping it running into 2018 and beyond as a flagship to attract both novice and bush-hardened walkers. We need your help though. The 60 Best Walks were picked entirely by our many bushwalking leaders and coordinators. But have we overlooked your favourite walks? Please send your suggestions to Sam Garrett-Jones or Matt McClelland.
I’m sure you have some great photos and tales about the 60 Best Walks. You can now upload them to our 60 Best Walks web-page using the “Leave a Reply/Comment” box (you need to be logged in). Or email them to Sam or Matt. We can’t wait to share your 60 Best Walks stories!
Here are some of the 60 Best Walks to be found on the Activities Program from December to February:
- BW #3 Blackwall Mountain, Bouddi NP and Central Coast Reserve: Maitland Bay Circuit from Wagstaffe.
- BW #7 Belrose to Narrabeen, Garigal NP: Circumnavigate Narrabeen Lagoon.
- BW #8 Sydney Harbour NP, Spit Bridge to Manly: “If there is a more iconic walk that epitomises the beauty of Sydney Harbour I’d certainly like to know about it!”, writes the leader.
- BW #8 Sydney Harbour NP: Taronga Zoo – Balmoral: Time to meet some of the many water dragons who call this part of the city home.
- BW #20 Wentworth Falls to Katoomba, Blue Mountains NP: Prince Henry Cliff Walk,
- BW #22 Glenbrook to Faulconbridge, Blue Mountains NP, Sassafras Gully and Magdala Creek
- BW #49 Catherine Hill Bay, Munmorah SCA: Catherine Hill Bay to Red Ochre Beach.
- BW #57 Main Range Circuit, Kosciuszko NP: Exploring the Main Range and surrounding area of the Snowy Mountains.
- BW #60 Mt Jagungal, Kosciuszko NP: Kiandra to Round Mountain mostly via the Australian Alps Walking Track.
You must log in to post a comment.